North America -- United States of America -- State of Connecticut -- State of Connecticut -- Groton {Id= 123}

Indigenous Name: Poquonock
Territorial Homeland: Pequot Territory
Associated Tribal Affliations:

.

Google Map: Click Here
ImagesClick Here

.

Groton originally referred to property owned by FitzJohn Winthrop c. 1650 near Poquonock and known as the East Side of New London.  It was set off in 1705.  In 1836, Ledyard (North Groton) was set off from Groton.


Native Place Names


  • Chepadaso is a hill near the head of the Mystic River, on the Groton side, south of Lamb’s brook.  Its name may be related to Cheepi (Hobbamock) whose name was associated with death, the deceased, and the cold north wind.  JT/CPN/William Simmons,  Spirit of the New England Tribes: Indian History and Folklore, 1620-1984 (Lebanon, N.H.: University Press of New England, 1986), 39.
  • Coddank is the name for land at Poquonock.  It was in the possession of Nehemiah Smith in 1720.  JT/CPN
  • Cowautacuck (“pine woodland”) is the name of a Native space in Groton.  CPN
  • “Devil’s Foot Hill” was a rock formation on the northwest of Noank Cove that had mythical and spiritual significance to the local Native peoples.  CPL
  • “Fort Sassacus” a Pequot fort on a hill four miles east of Groton Center.  It was abandoned after the English assault on the palisaded Pequot village in Mystic in 1637.  CPN
  • Gungywamp (“high rock”) a high rugged hill in the north and northeast of Groton in the south west part of Ledyard, not far from the Groton line that contained a stone fort as early as 1654. The site contains the remains of several unexplained stone structures and chambers and is said to be associated with mysterious lights and apparitions.  JT/CPN. http://www.dpnc.org/gungywamp/
  • Mashantucket (“smaller wooded tract of land”) is a tract of craggy, well-forested land reserved for the Groton Pequots in 1666, originally consisting of 2,000 acres of common and undivided land. JT/CPN
  • Mistucksuck (“at the little Mystic”) is a brook about two miles east from Mystic River, running southerly to the head of the Quiambaug Cove, also known as Copp’s Brook.  JT
  • Mystic (“great tidal river”) is the name for a river and an estuary around which a palisaded Pequot village existed.  The river has its origin in as a brook in North Stonington and flows south into Mystic Harbor and then to Long Island Sound.  Sometimes called Siccanemos or Sickenames (“black fish”), especially on early Dutch maps, it is also known as Eccleston Brook.  During the early 17th century, the village of Mystic included a fort that was assaulted and burned by English forces in 1637.  JT/CPN
  • Noank or Naiwayonk (“a point”) is a spit of land at the mouth of the Mystic River and the site of a Pequot village that continued up until the early 18th century.  Noank Cove is also called Beebe Cove.  JT/CPN.  Amy Den Ouden, Beyond Conquest: Native Peoples and the Struggle for History in New England (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2005), 151.
  • Pohegnut is the name for a pond a mile north of Poquonock Bridge and its associated ledge.  CPN
  • Poquonock (“cleared land”) refers to plains and meadow in Groton near the cove and river to which the name has been transferred.  It was the location of a Pequot village.  Governor Winthrop owned six thousand acres there. Poquonock is also the name of a river, bay, lake, and cove.  JT/CPN
  • “Porters Rocks” refers to the ledges where Captain John Mason’s military force spent the night before the attack on the Pequot fort in Mystic. The rocks are a half-mile southwest of Old Mystic, to the west of the River.  CPN
  • Quodducksunckset (“at the turning place”) is a brook that runs southerly to Mumford’s cove, three miles east of the Thames River.  Also known as Fort Hill Brook.  JT/
  • Shenecosset is a neck on the east side of New London harbor’s mouth between the Thames River and Baker Cove.  It was the location of a Pequot village.  Shenecosset is also the name of a cove.  JT/CPN
  • Tuskheganuck (“where we cross the river by wading”) is the name of a cove near Palmer’s Cove and a brook in Groton, west of Noank.  JT/CPN
  • Toyusk (“a bridge” “stepping stones”) is an unspecified location in Groton.  CPN
  • Waramaug (“good fishing place”) is a lake in Groton.  CPN
  • Weinshauks (“great rock cliff”) was the name of the Pequot village where sachem Sassacus resided in the early 17th century. CPN

Image courtesy of WikiMedia